Sunday, March 28, 2010

Trailer Blietzkrieg

Sorry for being completely absent for the past couple of weeks, X and I have been working through our Modern Warfare 2 addiction, and yeah, it's pretty bad; we need help... Anyway here is a whole slew of trailers for you guys to watch:



This is a reboot of the original Predator classic. It takes place before the one with Arnold, and features an all star cast including Adrien Brody and Laurence Fishburne. I'm not very familiar with the work of director, Nimrod Antal, but from what I've heard, Robert Rodriguez is heavily involved with this project (I think he may be one of the producers). That's definitely a good sign because Rodriguez is acclaimed for his gritty visual style and taut story telling, not to mention he knows how to film kick ass action, which he put on fine display in works such as Sin City, Grindhouse and Once Upon a Time in Mexico. The premise of a bunch of people stuck on an island trying to survive against a dangerous alien species reminded me of the Jurassic Park and the Alien franchises (yes I know those were in space). Should be fun times at the theaters.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World



It's Michael Cera, enough said. No, just kidding. This is actually a different kind of role for him, although he retains (in some parts) his awkward, I wanna crawl into a hole and die screen presence. Seems like it's along the lines of Kick-Ass, but toned way down. Supposedly it's based on a beloved comic book series that I've never heard of. We'll know more when the full version of the trailer comes out.

Sorcerer's Apprentice


I've been searching all over the world for you, Nicholas Cage's talent, where the fuck have you gone? This is the same guy who won an Oscar for Leaving Las Vegas? Why does he insist on selling out to Disney so he can overact in inane, derivative comic book adventure/conspiracy movies like National Treasure and Ghost Rider... Whatever, this movie looks stupid, you've been warned.

The Last Airbender



I hate this movie on principle. Not only is the lead character not played by an Asian actor, none of the supporting roles have Asian actors either (besides Dev Patel, who's playing the villain). WTF?! If anyone has heard of Noah Ringer, Jackson Rathbone, Nicola Peltz, Cliff Curtis please let me know in the comments. Maybe Hollywood really brought out the stars to fill this cast and I just don't know it. I haven't watched the cartoon it's based on but there seems to be a dedicated fan base, which I'd be interested to hear from. Oh yeah, M. Night Shyamalan, back too soon from his exile, is directing this, joy...

Despicable Me



I laughed maybe 1.5 times while watching this. Also the fact that they needed to release 4 trailers (4!) before I finally understood what this movie is kind of about is not a good sign. Sigh I'm tired of commenting on bad movies, let's move on...

Get Him to the Greek



Looks like the Hangover and Sarah Marshall had sex and gave birth to Jonah Hill. Some funny gags, but please for your safety don't watch more than once.

Animal Kingdom



Winner of 2010 Sundance Film Festival, so pretty impressive pedigree. Looks like a psychological thriller where one guy testifies against and brings down his powerful crime family (takes place in Melbourne, Australia). Free association mode came up with Goodfellas, Arrested Development, Godfather (Part I only) and Sopranos.

No comments: