Sunday, January 09, 2011

14 year old girl goes on quite the adventure

Yes, it's truly been a long time since this blog has been updated. While we can always use the "not enough time" excuse, but, at least in my case, the real problem is that I've been too lazy to write stuff. Anyway, I just watched True Grit with a few friends, so I'll try to write a short review of it. Disclaimer: it's 12am and I gotta get up at 7:30 tomorrow so I apologize for the hasty writing and lack of research.

True Grit, directed by the Coen Brothers, is a film adaptation of the 1968 novel by Charles Portis, and a remake of the 1969 film, both of the same name. The movie centers on Mattie Ross (played by Hailee Steinfeld), a 14 year old girl seeking revenge for the death of her father. In order to seek revenge, she hires Rooster Cogburn (played by Jeff Bridges), a deputy US marshal, but complications arise when a Texas Ranger, LaBeouf (played by Matt Damon) also goes on pursuit of the same killer, since La Beouf wants to see the killer hanged in Texas for his previous crimes, whereas Mattie wants to see the killer hanged for the murder of her father.

I realize critics have been raving about it, and it has 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, but personally, I found most parts of the movie (more specifically, all the parts before the big showdown which was almost at the end of the movie) pretty dull. My main complaint comes from the Jeff Bridges trying to sound like a tough guy by mumbling all his words, which did make him sound sort of a badass, but it also made me struggle to understand what he was talking about. The heavy accent didn't help either, and I ended up almost falling asleep on certain parts of the movie.

Now, I realize that as an art work, it is very well done, just as the other works that the Coen Brothers have done, such as No Country for Old Men, which won 4 Oscars in 2007, including Best Picture and Best Director. However, as someone who watches movies primarily for entertainment, I felt bored throughout most of the movie, and that's why in my book, this movie isn't anything more than a MEHHH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you're posting here again.

-your biggest fan

p.s.: keep writing