Monday, April 26, 2010

Perhaps it is good to have a beautiful mind, but an even greater gift is to discover a beautiful heart

I just saw A Beautiful Mind, and since I'll probably be going through my buddy list on AIM and telling my friends how I feel about the movie anyway, I might as well just write it here as a blog post.

First of all, I have to say, my judgment of the movie is extremely unfair, because I'm not really into biographical films, and my expectation for the movie was very high since it got 4 Oscars (all won in the important categories, might I add). And yes, the movie is very, very good, and I definitely recommend it. With that being said though, I do have a couple of complaints:

1. The movie takes over an hour to develop. I understand what the Director Ron Howard was trying to accomplish, and watching the young John Nash (Russell Crowe) being his awkward self in graduate school was certainly entertaining, but I had no idea what the movie was about for almost half the duration of the movie. As a result, I found myself quite bored during the first hour.
2. Because the film covered a huge span of time, it had to jump from one time frame to another. In one scene, we would see John Nash as a graduate student in Princeton University, and then all of the sudden, the film would skip to Nash as a professor in MIT. I don't know if it's just me, but I found this pretty confusing, especially since the makeup on Russell Crowe looked exactly the same (this did get better at the end, when the film jumped to Nash's later years his hair was white, and he looked significantly older). The change also made the film seem very sporadic, and I felt that it lacked a sense of continuity.

One thing I was really impressed was Russell Crowe's performance. I've seen him in Gladiator, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, and Body of Lies (fyi: all recommended movies), and none of his characters in the other movies even slightly resembled John Nash. Russell Crowe was a whole different person in A Beautiful Mind. I was surprised to see that he did not win an Oscar for the performance (esp when Jennifer Connelly won Oscar for Best Supporting Actress), but was less surprised when I saw that the 2002 Oscar for Best Actor went to Denzel Washington for his performance in Training Day (I would say Training Day falls into the MUST SEE category). It's too bad, because in my opinion Crowe's performance in this movie was even better than the one in Gladiator, for which he won an Best Actor.

A Beautiful Mind is definitely a great movie, and falls solidly into the RECOMMENDED category (if anything, watch it for Russell Crowe's performance). I just don't think it's one of the best movie I've ever seen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never seen A Beautiful Mind in its entirety (always just bits and pieces) so I can't actually comment on the film.

But as for the Oscars, you have to keep in mind that it is an extremely political process. There was no way that Russell Crowe could have won the Oscar for A Beautiful Mind when he just won it a year ago for Gladiator.

People very rarely get consecutive
Best Actor wins - only 2 actors (Spencer Tracy and Tom Hanks) and 2 actresses (Katherine Hepburn) have ever achieved this honor in history.

XWingz87 said...

I guess I wasn't clear on this, but what I meant to say was that it's too bad that Training Day came out the same year, because Denzel's performance in Training Day definitely deserved an Oscar too.

So I actually do agree with the Academy's decision in giving the Best Actor award to Denzel Washington.

Unknown said...

The above statement is seen to be contradictory. The situation is very critical and
need an experience complainer to resolve it.

================
Bpo Project Available

Unknown said...

Well, it’s amazing. The miracle has been done. Well done.
Hat’s off. Well done, as we know that “hard work always pays off”, after a long
struggle with sincere effort it’s done.

===============
top bpo porject in india