Thursday, February 25, 2010

A couple of new trailers UPDATED!

I don't know about you guys but I love trailers! Here's a couple new ones for promising looking movies -

Nightmare on Elm Street



I haven't seen the original, but based on what I can deduce the story seems pretty solid - a group of people are having similar nightmares of Freddy Krueger killing them when they are asleep. Might sound stupid, but this is actually the most intriguing storyline for a horror film I've seen in a very long time. Regardless, this is undoubtedly the most compelling, interesting and well made trailer I've seen this year.

The Karate Kid



This looks pretty interesting. The fighting looks well choreographed, and it's nice to see Jackie Chan play a serious character that suits his age. Also Jaden Smith certainly has the pedigree and looks pretty charismatic. The story seems to be more of a spiritual/thematic remake than a faithful, by the letter retelling of the original, which I'm totally fine with. A few tongue in cheek remarks though... Can it still be called the Karate Kid if he's learning Kung Fu? Watching the trailer, I thought of Shaolin Soccer, but it seems to take itself too seriously, maybe it's just the super triumphant, Rocky-esque music (I think they reused the sound track from The Last Samurai). Finally, I just want to say I absolutely love that they cast a black Karate Kid (before you guys skewer me for hypocrisy, the original Karate Kid was not Asian). It might be unintentional, but it cuts to the bone of racial bigotry and xenophobia prevalent in the Chinese (Asian) psyche.

How to Train your Dragon



THIS MOVIE LOOKS AWESOME! Ok so it doesn't warrant all caps but it sure looks good. I'm pinning all my hopes on this movie and I really absolutely totally desperately want this movie to be amazing. Why you ask? Because I'm sick of Pixar winning every animation award by default! Yes I'm referring to Up! I liked it fine, but it wasn't that great; and now that it's been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and a shoo-in to get Pixar yet another bald guy statue for Best Animated Feature, I absolutely despise it... So yes, please Dreamworks, make this work!

4 comments:

XWingz87 said...

Jackie Chan in a serious movie. Hmm this can be very interesting. Got my attention.

Unknown said...

I would see Karate Kid. Except I'll probably be in China then... hm... I wonder if they'll release it there.

Oooo... have you seen the trailor for Chloe? It's probably the only slightly thriller-esque movie that I'm willing to see.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/126957/movie-trailers-chloe

XWingz87 said...

Liam Neeson is in Chloe. I am SO seeing it.

Jay said...

Looks like Amanda Seyfried got an amazing part. Love Julianne Moore